Dr. Trevor Campbell (MD, CCFP, CIME) has been a physician for about 38 years. During his career as a family physician, he has had a special interest in counseling and the central role of behavior and thinking in chronic disease.
After immigrating to Canada, he became involved in the treatment of chronic pain, working in multi-disciplinary pain management programs, and opioid reduction programs. He later went on to become the medical director of a leading pain management provider in Western Canada.
He has also acquired extensive experience in disability medicine and has helped hundreds of patients with long-standing chronic pain to eliminate, or greatly reduce their opioid usage.
In recent years he has become interested in electronic health care delivery, as well as the risks and dangers of over-medicalization and over-diagnosis in modern medical practice. He is the author of ‘The Language of Pain – Fast Forward your Recovery to Stop Hurting’, a non-pharmacological treatment approach to chronic pain, a patient’s guide for what is all too often a complex, elusive and potentially overwhelming challenge.
“Understanding the true meaning of the chronic pain you experience opens you to a new world of treatment possibilities.”
What patients love about Dr. Trevor.
- Active listening. He understands that a clinical examination interview is not just about what is being said, but also about how it is being delivered. Content is important, but then so is context.
- Use of simple stories, analogies and metaphors, some of which can be surprising, though invariably insightful. Colleagues refer to these as ‘Trevor-isms.’
- Understanding the absolute need to directly and actively engage the mind in any chronic so-called “physical” disease, knowing that we sometimes have to get out of the way of the solution.
- His insistence that the patient work the hardest of all within the treatment team. Disclosure: this doesn’t always fly in the beginning.
- For reminding you in your darkest hours, that this is but a snapshot and not the movie of your life.